The transparency programme Di@vgeia
The enhancement of democratic processes is becoming a crucial priority for many countries across Europe. Within this framework the Di@vgeia programme aims at increasing civic participation in the democratic process along with opening up public institutions to the civil society by making it more transparent and accountable for its actions. The Di@vgeia programme makes use of ICT tools such as an online platform where both central and local public administrations could upload documents and processes in order to enable citizens and businesses the get access to them in an easy and user friendly way. The commitment and vision of the central government has been crucial for the successful development and implementation of the initiative. Several benefits have been achieved by the platform, both in terms of cost savings on reduced paper-prints along with more non-monetized aspects related to the aforementioned enhancement of the democratic process.
Stakeholders & Beneficiaries
- Ministries: 4 months after the enforcement of the law
- Overall Public Sector and other independent authorities: 1 months after Ministries
- Regional and Local Authorities: 6 months after Ministries.
Digital Transformation Process
Results, Outcomes & Impacts
Citizens’ engagement:The Di@vgeia database enable citizens and businesses to get access to a wide range of information. In addition, taking into consideration that the Greek crisis has been determined, among other things, by the non-transparent relationship between the citizens and the state, the Di@vgeia Programme enabled high standards of transparency within all levels of Greek public administration. This initiative has a deep impact on the way officials handle their executive power. The radical transparency that the Di@vgeia Programme introduces reduces corruption by exposing it more easily when it takes place, since any citizen and every interested party enjoy the widest possible access to questionable acts. Furthermore, its open architecture allows for the dissemination ad re-use of Publics sector information: indeed, a number of applications have been built by citizens and private companies on various platforms upon the transparency open data access tool.
Maladministration control:The Di@vgeia portal is a great tool for monitoring and control, used also by Greek Controlling Bodies for checking cases of illegality and maladministration in the public sector. The Controllers working for the Inspectors-Controllers Body for Public Administration (I.C.B.P.A.) have access to reports from the Di@vgeia portal in order to monitor legality and good administration in public legal entities. The programme entails several objectives and goals. Among the most relevant it can be accounted:
- The safeguard of transparent government actions and decisions
- Eliminating corruption by exposing it more easily when it takes place
- Monitoring of legality and good administration
- Enhancing and modernizing existing publication systems of administrative acts and decisions
- Reinforcing Greek citizens’ constitutional rights, such as the participation in the Information Society
- Enhance accessibility and comprehension of administrative acts for citizens
- Enable the possibility to provide open data to citizens and businesses for analysis and potential use.
Challenges & Bottlenecks
Transferability & Replicability
OpennessThe openness dimension is defined by the readily available information and data on the portal that can be accessed by every citizen or institution.
CollaborationThe collaboration dimension is defined by active participation of citizens in monitoring the publications of documents and acts along with the possibility to report potential maladministration issues.
ICT-enabled InnovationThe technology dimension is characterised by the online platform of Di@vgeia along with its implementation Di@vgeia.
- Necessity of change management in the public administration context
- Importance of communication
- Importance of listening to both public servants and citizens
- The necessity for a clear vision and strategy from central Greek governing institutions
- Importance of using the talent and dedication of employees along with providing full autonomy to the project team.